Tuesday, December 14, 2004

MSN Desktop Search problems

I downloaded the MSN Desktop Search tool yesterday, but got pretty frustrated because I couldn’t get it to index my email. I use Outlook as my default email client, but the search options would not allow me to select Outlook (it had selected Outlook Express and wouldn’t let go).

Josh helped me get around my problem by suggesting that I change the default mail client on my start menu and switch it back. At first, I questioned this because I had tried this solution yesterday through the Internet Options in the Control Panel. After a moment, I came to the realization that I had nothing to lose, so I followed his advice and it worked. So, if you find yourself in the same dilemma, here’s what you do to fix it:

  1. Right-click on your “Start Button” and choose “Properties”
  2. Make sure you are on the “Start Menu” tab and click on the “Customize...” button
  3. In the drop-down menu for the E-mail app at the bottom of the window, change your client to “Outlook Express”
  4. Click “OK” to close the window and “OK” on the next window to close everything.
  5. Repeat steps 1-3, but this time, select “Microsoft Office Outlook” for your email client
  6. Tell Microsoft Desktop Search to “Index Now”
  7. Voila - that’s it…now search your email!

Happy searching!

1 comment:

Josh Bancroft said...

I linked to this post in my review of MSN Desktop Search.

I mentioned and linked to Scoble a couple of times, and I'm hoping he links to me, so hopefully this will get your writeup of the the solution out there in the blogosphere.

Thanks for posting this!